Bardo Industries Creates Custom Ceramic Bottles for Oax Original
OAX Original is a collaborative artistic endeavor presenting the distinctive flavors and raw beauty of wild agave through three limited-edition expressions: Arroqueño, Tobalá, and Tepeztate. Each of the unique small-batch mezcales is made from agave plants found in the semi-arid Central Valleys of Oaxaca, which average 12 to-25-years to reach maturity. Once foraged, the hearts of the agaves are slow-cooked in the ground with oak and mesquite, stone-ground by horse, then wild yeast fermented in pine barrels before being double distilled. OAX is a multi-sensorial experience, where the bottle embodies the mezcal in touch and sight—from its raw texture recalling dirt, bricks, and adobe, to the pure volumes that define its form, size, and surfaces, as well as their interaction with light and shadows.
The “Search for Beauty” is the driving force behind OAX Original, and this quest unequivocally intersects with art. The brand acts as a collaborative artistic endeavor presenting the distinctive flavors and raw beauty of wild agave through its three limited-edition expressions while extending its representation into the world of art through partnerships with designers, musicians, visual artists, chefs, photographers and more.
The three bottles in black (Arroqueño—from and agave plant of 18 years), white (Tobalá—12 years) and pink (Tepeztate—25 years), are produced in Pachuca, Mexico, and designed by OAX Original Creative Team, Laura Giraudo and Roberto Bernasconi, co-founders of Bardo Industries– an interdisciplinary Design Studio based in Brooklyn, NY. The bottle itself draws inspiration from vernacular Mexican architecture, a blend between the mysterious monolithic pre-Hispanic architecture and Euro-American Modernist designs spearheaded by Luis Barragán and presently embodied in the work of architects Frida Escobedo, Mauricio Rocha and Gabriela Carrillo, among others. OAX Original comes in a silkscreened kraft box, equating the unboxing experience with that of an art piece or a design item. “Our bottle is more than a container. It’s the representation of OAX in space. It’s unsettling, convulsive and cryptic, an ‘obscur objet du désir’. It’s a statement, a preamble to the drinking experience, it’s the unexpected”.
- Design Agency: Bardo Industries
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Bardo Industries Creates Custom Ceramic Bottles for Oax Original
- Brand / Project Name: OAX ORIGINAL
- External Design Credits: Creative Director Laura Giraudo, Designer and Art Director Roberto Bernasconi Photographer Celeste Martearena
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Research / Insight, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice, Product Naming
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Photography, Brand Identity, Identity System, Branding, Brand Creation, Graphic Design
- Location: United States
- Market Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Product Category: Beverages
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Ceramic