Balmoral Arms in Ballater is a traditional Scottish inn with royal connections. The inn continues the tradition of attracting visitors to Royal Deeside in Aberdeenshire, a tradition that has existed since Victorian times.
Having undergone a multi-million-pound refurbishment and striving for 5-star inn accreditation, it was crucial that the new brand reflected the recent investment while also fitting with the wider area’s royal heritage. We aimed to capture the authentic character of the inn that has made it so popular with both local guests and those from afar.
The hotel’s brand mark combines two of the local area’s main landmarks: the Royal Bridge and the Cairngorm mountain range, to create a bold crown shape. This gives the brand a unique connection to its royal heritage. We chose a supporting type with strong shapes and contrasts to complement the crown mark. Its calligraphic base and character reflect the traditional look and feel of the inn.
We collaborated with illustrator Will Freeborn to create supporting assets that could be utilized across the hotel’s touchpoints and collateral. The hand-drawn and watercolored illustrations were designed to capture the numerous points of interest in and around Ballater, as well as the quirks of the hotel itself.
Balmoral Arms has two dining options each with their own unique menu. We created identities that reflected the character of the f&b outlets with paper stocks, menu covers and colour palettes chosen with each dining setting in mind.
- Agency/Creative: Shine Design + Digital
- Article Title: Balmoral Arms Brand Design
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Agency/Creative City: Glasgow
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Art Direction, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Identity, Brand Mark, Brand Naming, Brand Redesign, Creative Direction, Identity System, Illustration, Rebranding
- Industry: Hospitality
- Keywords: Hospitality, Hotel, brand identity, Scotland, Balmoral, Luxury, Illustration, print, paper
Creative Director: Kieran Reilly