Soteria Conservation is a textile focused studio offering interventive and preventive treatments of a museum standard, working on some of the world’s most important and finest textiles for both the public and private sector. They are headed up by Jessica Burgess, who has been working in the industry for over a decade and is an ICON accredited conservator.
With a vast knowledge on the history and properties of textiles, the studio work with both ancient and contemporary objects from around the world. Which include costumes, personal objects, cultural dress and film props.
The visual identity adopts a system-based approach that represents the brand’s meticulous approach to archiving, preservation and restoration of the objects in their care, protecting the objects while also celebrating their beauty and allowing them to inspire future generations.
Inspired by scrolls of textiles, the logo combines the initials of the brand name with a subtle infinity symbol, conveying Soteria Conservation’s dedication to preserve the objects in their care forever.
A flexible system displays object photos in a bevelled frames that highlight their beauty while also suggesting a protective casing, creating a graphic archive in which to house the objects. The negative space creates a clear area for the minimalist typographic approach and allows object details to be displayed.
The brand colours of red and black are inspired by classic East Asian textiles, which the studio has built a specialised reputation for, while also creating a feeling of mystique around the intriguing and unusual objects.
- Agency/Creative: Ash Watkins
- Article Title: Ash Watkins Creates System-Based Visual Identity for Soteria Conservation Textile Focused Studio
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Agency/Creative City: London
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Mark, Brand Rejuvenation, Brand Tone of Voice, Logo Design
- Industry: Fashion
- Keywords: Conservation, Fashion, Textiles, Visual Identity
Designer: Ash Watkins