Art Direction and Design for a New Mexican UK Mezcal Brand
The Lost Explorer is an artisanal handcrafted mezcal made from 100% agave, cultivated in the sun-soaked Valles Centrales, Oaxaca, Mexico, that celebrates the Earth and the diversity and wonder of the sacred agave plant.
The brand began as a curiosity of time and the earth. From the age-old techniques to the land from where it’s born, its Nature, people, myths and mysteries, rituals, sunlight, food — it all came together in a beautiful alchemy.
Made in tune within the rhythm of Nature, each small batch is distilled on the edge of San Pablo Huixtepec, Oaxaca, by multi-award-winning Maestro Mezcalero Don Fortino Ramos Florián, with a sustainable approach that honors traditional artisanal mezcal methods. Designed and produced in Mexico, the bottle is made out of more than 50% recycled crystal scraps. Every bottle is finished by hand, using a natural cork stopper with a seal of biodegradable, natural beeswax stamped with the brand’s symbol, which represents the 4 main ecosystems of its origin.
The Lost Explorer Mezcal range consists of three uniquely profiled varietals – Espadín is the core expression, sitting alongside two rarer wild varietals, Tobalá and Salmiana. Time slows, heart warms. Each sip transports you to a world of senses beyond.
We created complete art direction and design, including branding, packaging, photography and website. The rich fauna and mystic aura of Oaxaca was the main inspiration for the brand, so we revisited traditional alebrijes, a craft from Oaxaca, with a contemporary take, and invited Daniel Barba to create the set of illustrations for this whimsical creatures. The label artwork and brand look & feel are inspired by Guadalupe Posada’s etchings, cabinets of wonders, botanical illustrations and vintage explorer tags.
Each mezcal label features a unique alebrije, as well as the agave varietal it’s made from. The agave age in years communicates the concept of the time the agave has grown in nature. The Lost Explorer Mezcal. Sip Curiously.
- Design Agency: Menta.
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Art Direction and Design for a New Mexican UK Mezcal Brand
- Brand / Project Name: The Lost Explorer Mezcal
- External Design Credits: Illustrato: Daniel Barba
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand World, Brand Strategy
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Illustration, Photography, Brand Identity, Branding, Graphic Design, Brand Guidelines
- Location: Mexico
- Market Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Global
- Product Category: Spirits
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass Bottle