A Single Malt Irish Whiskey
A Single Malt Whiskey as rare as a snake in Ireland.
In mythology, ‘Erebus’ was the Greek God of Darkness, a personification of lustful desires who presided over the mysterious shadowlands. He was a primordial deity seen as the embodiment of darkness. His name comes from the Greek ‘Erebos’ meaning the darkness or shadow.
‘Erebus’ is a new addition to the Spicers Wine & Gourmet Companion, a compendium of their range of narrow web self-adhesive stocks, used primarily in the packaging of wine, beer, spirits and gourmet foods. Each is approached as stand-alone packaging project expressing individuality and appropriateness to the relevant market segment.
The brand was designed for a shimmering charcoal pearlescent metallic paper and called ‘Erebus’ to highlight the label stock’s dark lustrous appearance and its name, ‘Coal Mine’.
The bright turquoise blue foiled letterforms interweave through a luminous orange snake. The snake has the duality of being a symbol of the underworld and also representing the creative life force. The sinuous snake is also an ironic reference to the apocryphal tale of ‘there being no snakes in Ireland’, alluding to its uniqueness with wry humour. The orange references the copper stills and is complemented by the metallic copper cap. With sculpted embossing and spot gloss highbuild, as well as the intriguing ‘squircle’ glass bottle, the overall effect is worthy of a 18 year old Single Malt Irish Whiskey. It comes wrapped in turquoise and black tissue wrap and encased in its charcoal cylinder.
‘It is only when you look into the darkness, you see the light.
And Erebus is sure to deepen the craving for the dark side’.
Application of the printed label to selected glass bottle with neckwrap and copper closure. Limited run of 2500 labels printed. Labels printed and applied to bottles to show the stock to its on shelf presence and print advantages.
- Design Agency: Harcus Design
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: A Single Malt Irish Whiskey
- Brand / Project Name: Erebus
- External Design Credits: Designer: Jaimee-Lee Field & Annette Harcus; Creative Director: Annette Harcus; Photography: Stephen Clarke
- Production Credits: Multicolor Melbourne
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Naming, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Photography, Branding, Graphic Design, Brand Experience
- Location: Australia
- Market Country: Australia
- Market Region: Oceania
- Product Category: Packaging
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle, Tube
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass Bottle