A Concept Sustainable and Authentic Approach to UNIQLO Packaging Design
Using a universal packaging solution for UNIQLO’s packaged products (including AIRism innerwear, HEATTECH inner-ware, Women’s’ Briefs, AIRism Face Masks) This concept hopes to standardise the packaging in stores, drastically reduce the amount of single use plastic and deliver an authentic product that celebrates Japans’ long tradition of paper based craft.
With influence from the Japanese art of Tsutsumi, packaged UNIQLO products should be presented in such a way that receiving one feels like an event, and unboxing one is a celebration of not only the science behind the product, but proudly owning the product. The product should feel like it has been carefully prepared and meticulously looked after, and encapsulates the history of UNIQLO and Japan itself. This gives each product added value, they will in return, be more respected and admired.
The packaging itself, a Die Cut and Stamped piece of 320gsm card stock that balances weight and strength. It can be easily folded by hand and can be secured in placed without glue, stickers or any adhesives, making the package beautifully simple and easy to recycle.
A sleeve that bears all the product information is wrapped around the outside, giving added protection.
A single piece of precision cut, high quality card, folded meticulously perfectly parallels the value of UNIQLO’s products: Simple Made Better.
Because of it’s simplicity, multiple variants can be easily developed for other products, such as thicker HEATTECH products or smaller AIRism products. It will give UNIQLO’s in store presentation added consistency.
By simplifying and reducing the amount of different types of packaging that UNIQLO currently use, it will drastically increase the efficiency of in store operations, standardise and simplify the packaging used, eliminate plastic waste and minimise profit loss.
- Design Agency: Samson Chung
- Organisation/Project Type: Freelance, Non Published Concept Design
- Article Title: A Concept Sustainable and Authentic Approach to UNIQLO Packaging Design
- Brand / Project Name: UNIQLO Packaging Design
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand World, Brand Strategy
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Branding, Rebranding, Industrial Design, Layout Design
- Location: United Kingdom
- Market Country: Multiple Countries
- Market Region: Global
- Product Category: Fashion
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box, Case, Sleeve, Wrap, Envelope
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Pulp Paper