Focus Ex is a digital reading tool, first and foremost for people suffering from ADHD. It is a tool that helps the user access written online content more easily. It filters out distractions, breaks down the text, and changes the font style to a personalized setting. With all these adjustments it helps with the user’s focus and understanding of the content.
The different parts of this tool are the result of a one-year-long research. Different functions have been developed after understanding the phenomenon of ADHD and learning about its effects on reading quality. The customizable typeface has also been created as a helping tool with reading problems created by this condition. Its strength lies in the customizable typeface.
It not only helps the user with its visual attributes but it can also turn into an interactive activity with the click of a button. With this effect, the words are seen through a magnifying glass that highlights the individual words while reading and raises the level of memorization of the content. This is especially useful for people diagnosed with ADHD, because by strengthening the working memory it generates more attention to the words and keeps the user focused. Based on the needs of the target audience, FocusEx also has the option to filter out distracting pictures and videos with a single click. It changes the text which is set to all caps to help readability. Also, it has a feature that reminds the user of how long they have been reading. This has a motivating effect, but can also be useful for people with ADHD in their hyperfocus state.
From a technical point of view, it is a browser extension that can be turned on and off easily. At the moment it is designed for desktop and mobile use but there are plans for it to expand to other devices.
- Agency/Creative: Vatány Szabolcs
- Article Title: A Concept for Generative Typography for ADHD Sufferers
- Organisation/Entity: Student, Non Published Concept Design
- Project Type: Identity
- Agency/Creative Country: Hungary
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Brand Design, Brand Naming, Graphic Design, Product Architecture, Product Naming, Research, Tone of Voice
- Industry: Technology
- Keywords: ADHD, focus, generative, typeface, variable, extension, reading, comprehension, interaction, UX, UI, accessibility