Utopian Brewing came to Kingdom & Sparrow with an exciting vision – to be the first independent, premium British lager brand for discerning drinkers nationwide. From their brewery in picturesque Devon they brew in the traditional way but using 100% British ingredients and modern methods, ensuring that sustainability is firmly at the core of what they do. With that in mind, they needed the UK branding agency to create a brand that captured their strong provenance and environmental values, as well as the great taste, quality and accessibility of their premium beer.
A fresh approach to brewing needed a fresh approach to branding. To differentiate Utopian from both mass-produced lagers and more experimental craft beer, Kingdom & Sparrow stepped away from typical brand cues found in these categories. Instead they created a unique identity balancing classic quality with forward-thinking innovation. A hand-drawn illustration represents the harmonious, sustainable vision of Utopian, and celebrates the brand’s British roots and natural processes and ingredients. The strong female warrior character raises a glass to the future of modern brewing. A bold, robust logomark and sophisticated lettering and messaging adds trust and a premium feel, whilst the stripped back colour palette keeps the identity fresh and contemporary.
Since launching in 2019, Utopian have collaborated with the likes of Brew Republic and Beer52 and are now exporting internationally. Despite the difficult Covid climate, they’ve continued to successfully sell online as the dedicated Utopian fan-base has grown. With long-term plans to become carbon neutral, it’s exciting to see the big things that are underway for this brand.
“From the very first time we met, long before we actually had a brewery, the team at Kingdom and Sparrow totally got what we wanted to achieve, not just with our brand but with our whole business. From that moment we have had a fabulous relationship, working closely together to continually develop and refine how we communicate our core values in a way that is also highly engaging to our customers. Far more than just a supplier or a brand agency Kingdom and Sparrow are an integral part of our team and I can’t imagine not having them around. Being both great fun and easy to work with, along with being highly professional, is a wicked combo and K&S have both in abundance.” – Richard Archer – Founder and Managing Director, Utopian Brewing Limited
- Agency/Creative: Kingdom & Sparrow
- Article Title: Kingdom & Sparrow Create Branding for British Lager Utopian Brewing With Sustainability at Its’ Core
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Agency/Creative City: Falmouth
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: 3D Design, Art Direction, Brand Architecture, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Strategy, Creative Direction, Graphic Design, Illustration, Logo Design, Packaging Design, Type Design, Typography
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: graphic design, illustration, packaging design, beer label design, beer branding, craft beer branding, craft beer label design
Agency: Kingdom & Sparrow