‘Yallingup’ means ‘place of caves’, -up is a suffix commonly found in place names in south western Western Australia. The suffix originated in a dialect of Noongar, an Indigenous Australian language, in which ‘-up’ means ‘place of’’.
Yallingup Estate, though an established vineyard, was recently purchased by a neighbouring vigneron who saw the potential and went onto further exploration of this distinctive terroir in the Margaret River region. Sitting atop the rolling sun-drenched northern and western slopes high above the Indian Ocean, is a vineyard in a prized corner of Margaret River’s Gunyulgup Valley. It is from this single vineyard, that the fruit is harvested for to craft the premium wines with its elevation and ancient red gravelly soils form a vine terroir that is undeniably Margaret River.
Abundant and resilient, the jarrah and marri forests revitalize the ancient soils while winter storms ravage the granite, limestone and ironstone-laden hillsides. A rugged coastline with rolling north-west facing coastal vineyards above, yet beneath hides manymajestic subterranean caves.
‘100 Caves’ by Yallingup Estate was named after the pockets of amazing cave structures that ramble secretly hidden beneath the Margaret River coastline. Formed approximately 1 million years ago these highly decorated limestone caves lay beneath the surface of the Leeuwin Naturaliste Ridge. These spectacular scenes underneath the ground gave the inspiration to the upper tier wine of Yallingup Estate.
- Agency/Creative: Harcus Design
- Article Title: Harcus Design Creates Packaging Design for Yallingup of Margaret River
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Australia
- Agency/Creative City: Sydney
- Market Region: Oceania
- Project Deliverables: Art Direction, Brand Creation, Brand Identity, Design, Packaging Design
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass Bottle
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: wine label, label design, label, branding, brand identity, packaging, packaging design, harcus, harcus design
Designers: Galima Akhmetzyanova & Annette Harcus
Creative Director: Annette Harcus
Photographer: Stephen Clarke