Father-daughter team from Connecticut, Tim and Ally Covello, came to Kingdom & Sparrow in 2020 to help them pursue their passion for great wine and launch their own boutique winery brand. They’d done their research and identified that while rosé is a growing segment with (majority) female drinkers, US millennials are not embracing wine in the way that other consumer groups have. With this they saw an opportunity – and a challenge – to create a rose that specifically targets and appeals to millennial females, fitting with their lifestyle and values.
Tim and Ally are taking a modern ‘virtual winery’ approach and working with select independent winemakers in the US – starting with a quality but easy-drinking Provence-style rose from Lodi in California. Kingdom & Sparrow needed to create a contemporary brand identity to match – and capture the attention of millennials on the shelves and on Instagram. The branding agency felt that communicating the sociable summertime drinking occasion was key to keep the brand accessible and appealing, so we chose a fresh, elegant and nostalgic narrative with details like pressed flowers, a book-shaped label and a subtle embossed poetic description in the background. All evoke story-telling and long summer days with friends. The textured, block-print logo adds to the personal ‘boutique’ look and feel, and a secondary butterfly asset is a playful addition to the brand world.
Amarose launched in the Greater New York City Area in May 2021 – and they’ve already had so much interest that they’re planning their next wine.
“Kingdom & Sparrow understood our target demographic, created a beautiful brand and were great to work with.
When launching our boutique winery we felt that having the right branding partner was going to be the most important piece of our success. We did extensive research with firms in the U.S and the U.K. and, ultimately, we were drawn to the quality and creativity of Kingdom & Sparrow’s work. We quickly developed a personal affinity with their team and the whole process was thorough and thoughtful, with spot-on strategy and a design that beautifully captured the essence of our brand. The designs we were presented with were all so amazing, it was hard to pick one! The implementation process was so fun too, and K&S worked closely with us and our vendors to ensure that everything was executed perfectly. We couldn’t be more happy with the outcome.” – Tim Covello, Co-founder of Amarose Wine
- Agency/Creative: Kingdom & Sparrow
- Article Title: Boutique Rosé Wine for US Millennials: Disrupting a Traditional Category Designed by Kingdom and Sparrow
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Agency/Creative City: Falmouth
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Advertising, Art Direction, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Experience, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Mark, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Branding, Copywriting, Creative Direction, Design, Graphic Design, Label Design, Packaging Design
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass Bottle
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: graphic design, illustration, packaging design, wine label design, wine branding,
Agency: Kingdom and Sparrow