Justin Devillier is one of New Orleans most celebrated young chefs, recently winning the James Beard award. Justine is the highly-anticipated restaurant from he and partner Mia Freiberger-Devillier. We partnered with architecture and interior design studio Farouki Farouki to create this new Vieux Carré gem.
The design pays homage to classic French styling, while playfully subverting expectations with an irreverent sense of New Orleans joie de vivre. We created an icon inspired by the antique Parisian statue behind the bar: The Spirit of Justine. The menu uses the structure of a classic brasserie, but we subverted it with bold pops of color, odd typography, and irreverent woodcuts.
The brand extends to every detail, including custom plates, deli paper patterns, and staff uniforms. In the outdoor cafe we designed a custom neon script, glowing above a brass ‘J’ inlaid in terrazzo. The exterior signage was inspired by historic French Quarter signs. While you wait for a table you can peruse our tongue-in-cheek guide to French etiquette. Completing the entire experience with wit and delight, we designed a series of surreal wheat-pasted street collages.
- Agency/Creative: The Made Shop
- Article Title: The Made Shop Creates Identity for New Orleans’ Restaurant “Justine”
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Identity
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Brand Creation, Brand Experience, Brand Identity, Brand World, Branding, Graphic Design, Identity System, Illustration, Tone of Voice
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: Restaurant, Branding, Collateral, Design, Interior Art, Neon, Sculpture, Wheatpaste, Menu, Food, Beverage, Signage