Studio Look At That Elegantly Presents Cocoa Percentage
The percentage of cocoa in chocolate is a pretty reliable indicator of where it sits on the sweet to bitter scale, more so than descriptions such as milk, semisweet or bittersweet. It’s how most customers navigate through the craft chocolate scene, hence why we have seen brands plaster their packaging with percentages. Percentage Chocolate explores how this can be done elegantly in keeping with the essence of craft chocolate.
The answer, a circle. They represent timelessness and perfection, which are qualities Percentage Chocolate honour in every chocolate bar. No CBD, no oat milk and no trends, just simple chocolate made from single origin cocoa.
Circles are a common occurrence in nature, rings of a tree, nuts, oranges, mushrooms and peppercorns, all of these flavour profiles are also found in chocolate. Chocolate has over 600 flavour compounds. Letting it melt uncovers these hidden complexities, flavours and aromas.
There’s an interesting juxtaposition with chocolate. It starts as a raw, grungy ingredient, then it’s transformed into a silky, elegant, luxurious product. It’s important for “bean to bar” chocolate to represent its origins and show the cocoa’s journey from sack to pack. We’ve done this by using a raw stencilled typeface that contrasts the luxurious gold foil. The markings found on cocoa sacks were the typographic inspiration for this project. Sack markings are always set in a bold typeface and printed in black ink.
Percentage chocolate creates a range of chocolate from creamy milk chocolate to dark. Milk and dark are differentiated by the use of silver foil instead of gold and a lighter selection of colours. The colours are earthy and the vibrancy has been toned down for more of a soothing effect. Purple in consumers’ minds means chocolate, so of course, we honoured that colour in our line up.
- Design Agency: Studio Look At That
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Non Published Concept Design
- Article Title: Studio Look At That Elegantly Presents Cocoa Percentage
- Brand / Project Name: Percentage Chocolate
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Brand Identity, Branding, Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Brand Experience, Rebranding
- Location: United Kingdom
- Market Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Europe
- Product Category: Confectionery
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box, Sleeve
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Pulp Paper