This packaging project is called Trigger and it is a fertilizer for houseplants. I have chosen such a strange name in order to demonstrate the metaphor: triggers, or impulses, as a psychological conсept commonly known to work only on humans or animals. So, paradoxically, here we have triggers for plants: fertilizers, which provoke plants’ growth, they “trigger” the plants’ growth.
The visual metaphor of this project is that humans’ heads are like pots for plants and the “sprouts” are our ideas, tempers, knowledge, fears. There is a famous idiom that fits perfectly — as you make your bed, so you must lie on it. A quite similar idea was used in the film “Inception” (2010) by Christopher Nolan. Therefore, there are different “sprouts” that grow from the head of three people, depicted in the project. On the bag with Thom Yorke there you could see the temper growing from the pot; on the bag with Björk — beauty; on the bag with Jonny Greenwood — fears.
Also, this is a division between 3 different SKU’s, each of them is used for a particular plant, the name and description of which is given in the yellow area. Moreover, there is a scale of intensity, so that the customer is aware. Nevertheless, what are these insects and why are they there? Firstly, insects are plants’ close companions, especially pollinating insects. Secondly, the whole project is a tribute to April Greiman, a great designer of the ’80s, which inspired me, so I decided to rethink her approach to modernity.
Technically, the project is just a paper bag with a window in it, so the customer may see the fertilizer. This makes the project eco-friendly and non-plastic.
- Agency/Creative: Valeriy Sleba
- Article Title: Student Packaging Design for Trigger Fertilizer
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Non Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Russia
- Agency/Creative City: Moscow
- Market Region: Europe, North America
- Project Deliverables: Art Direction, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Design, Graphic Design, Packaging Design
- Format: Bag
- Substrate: Pulp Paper
- Industry: Agriculture
- Keywords: Fertilizer, Plants, Urban Jungle, Trigger, Agriculture, Houseplants
Curator: Leonid Slavin