Dunn&Co. – Skagway Spirits
Dunn&Co. – Skagway Spirits
Skagway Spirits is a small family run distillery making premium craft spirits in Alaska. The distillery uses fresh water that comes from a glacially fed aquifer. The brand is paying homage to the Klondike Gold Rush between 1896 and 1899. It was estimated that 100,000 prospectors migrated to the Klondike region of the Yukon, the majority passing through Skagway on they’re way to pan for gold. With this branding we wanted to show that pioneering spirit. The label features a pioneer with a large gold nugget strapped to his back. The gold nugget was made by using two foil plates and different foils to give it a 3d feel. Each bottle is labeled and numbered by hand.
The assignment was to do a brand refresh for a small family run craft distillery in Skagway Alaska. The brand is paying homage to the Klondike Gold Rush between 1896 and 1899. It was estimated that 100,000 prospectors migrated to the Klondike region of the Yukon, the majority passing through Skagway on they’re way to pan for gold. With this branding we wanted to show that pioneering spirit.
The approach was to take the theme and label they had currently that was based on the gold rush and try to enhance the idea while making it more striking and eye catching. The existing label featured an iconic image of many pioneers climbing the mountain with backs filled with enough tools and food to survive. Not everyone in the gold rush had a success story but in our refresh story we’re focusing on one man and how the pioneer spirit payed off. It’s telling the history but done in a quirky light hearted way.
Skagway is a port city for cruise ships, and every year a good amount choose to visit the distillery. With this brand refresh just in time for the summer, the sales have increased significantly. It’s too early to tell the exact impact while still in season just yet but the distillery has said it’s doubled if not tripled the sales already this year compared to last year. The end result is beautiful, and makes a great keep sake or gift from the trip to Alaska.
- Design Agency: Dunn&Co.
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Dunn&Co. – Skagway Spirits
- Brand / Project Name: Skagway Spirits
- External Design Credits: Creative Director - Grant Gunderson , Illustration - Joel Santana
- Production Credits: Printer - Blue Label Digital
- Creative Director: Chief Creative Officer: Troy Dunn , Creative Director/Designer: Grant Gunderson
- Designer: Illustrator: Joel Santana
- Project Type: Consumer Brand Creation, Consumer Brand Redesign
- Strategic Deliverables: Consumer Product Brand Architecture
- Design Deliverables: Consumer Branding, Consumer Brand Creation, Consumer Rebranding, Consumer Graphic Packaging Design
- Location: United States America
- Market Country: United States America
- Market Region: North America
- Product Category: Spirits
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass