RAR is Portugal’s leading sugar brand, determined to be an Iberian reference with its innovative and top quality products and services.
Sugar is a product with an “worn out” image, caused by the issues of its abuse: RAR wanted to combat some myths around sugar and contacted VOLTA with the intention of rejuvenating its image (logo and packaging), attract new consumers and increase the quality perception of their ranges.
Our work began with a historical study of the brand: the RAR elephant was and remains an iconic logo in Portugal with a high recognition rate. So we wanted to make it even more prominent, making it the central focus of all packaging. Strong and flat colours and new typography, which show quality and safety, complement the packaging, which is now much more prominent in the linear.
In the logo, we changed the typography to a font as robust as the elephant and created the signature “Sweet and Portuguese”, reinforcing the brand’s Portuguese character.
The Origins range, for its part, takes on colours and typographies more closely linked to the origins of these sugars, with earthy/warm tones and tropical greens.
The result is a rejuvenated, colourful and proud brand of its products and their origin.
- Agency/Creative: VOLTA Brand Shaping Studio
- Article Title: Rebranding and Repackaging a Portuguese Icon
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: Portugal
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Brand Redesign, Branding, Graphic Design, Packaging Design, Rebranding
- Format: Bag, Flow-Pack, Sachet
- Substrate: Plastic, Pulp Carton, Pulp Paper