Palace Ceramics Collection Packaging Design Created by pmdesign
This packaging was created for the new Edition of the ceramic pieces of the Palace Collection designed by Daciano da Costa (1930-2005), one of the most outstanding figures of Portuguese Design. We find his interior and furniture design in such iconic spaces as the University of Lisbon (Reitoria da Universidade de Lisboa), the Biblioteca Nacional, the Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian headquarters, the Laboratório Nacional de Engenharia Civil, the Casino Park Hotel, the Centro Cultural de Belém, and at Casa da Música. The Palace Ceramics Collection is one of the many sets of objects designed by Daciano da Costa for the Hotel Madeira Hilton / Madeira Palace interiors in the 1970’s. The pieces now reissued, made in its original five colors, suggest a game of a modular and geometric design that can unfold in multiple combinations.
From the Atelier, founded in 1959 by Daciano da Costa, to the restructuring of the company in 2013, they started a project that aims to enhance and communicate his work. In 2019, They opened the Gallery, an exhibition space, where they present the new editions and reissues of Daciano da Costa´s work.
The Atelier is currently in charge of his daughter Inês Cottinelli with the collaboration of the Professor João Paulo Martins and the designer Francisca Sampaio.
The packaging design project, created by pmdesign, is made of compact cardboard and, just like the ceramic pieces, it creates a play of volumes with modular design and multiple combinations. The semi-hexagonal shape was designed for a perfect fit of the pieces, an exercise in optimizing space and materials.
Working with a restricted colour palette confers the packaging simplicity and minimalism, which contrasts with the chromatic exuberance of the pieces and balances the set.
The numbering visual detail allows for immediate identification of the dimension of each piece. On the other hand, through the square opening at the base one can check the colour.
- Design Agency: PMDESIGN
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Palace Ceramics Collection Packaging Design Created by pmdesign
- Brand / Project Name: Palace Ceramics Collection
- External Design Credits: Design: Paulo Marcelo/PMDESIGN
- Production Credits: Packaging production: AÉME premium packaging . Photos: Atelier Daciano da Costa
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Brand Strategy
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design
- Location: Portugal
- Market Country: Portugal
- Market Region: Global
- Product Category: Household
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Pulp Carton