Russell & Suitor is a Tasmanian winery run by winemaker Alex Russell and his partner, Laura (who is the ‘Suitor’ and her maiden name).
This premium range of cool-climate wines is named ‘Cazadora’ — the ‘huntress’ in Spanish — appropriately as Tasmania is a new hunting ground and home for the winemakers. It is a range of high-end Tasmanian varietal wines produced from the family estate-grown fruit in the Pipers River region north of Launceston.
‘With new lands come new opportunities.
Known to few, is that Tasmania is the oldest wine-producing region in Australia, according to James Halliday’s ‘Wine Atlas of Australia’. It is also the coldest wine land in Australia, prized for its hero varietals of pinot noir and chardonnay, with riesling on the rise.
Nodding to the Spanish ancestry in the family, the naming of all Russell & Suitor wines have a distinct Iberian influence. Whereas their other ranges are overtly masculine, to balance the portfolio, this range was given the name ‘Cazadora’ to represent the other half of the world. Alex and Laura are both vibrant personalities with an unwavering obsession with quality and commitment to sustainability. So these labels, with a feminine name, were briefed to also reflect that strong presence and personality.
‘Think warrior princess ‘Zena’…no shrinking violets here.
Revelling in the powerful letterforms, we devised a typographic solution using the prismatic ‘Cazadora’ as the main body of the graphics. Energy and movement are created by the metal arrows flying across and piercing through them. The labels have sculpted dimensional embossing on the type, with a warm gunmetal foil on the flight of arrows and the branding.
The Cazadora labels are printed on textured felt label stock with two colourways – crisp, bright white for the Riesling and Chardonnay, and a moody grey for the hero varietal, Pinot Noir.
- Agency/Creative: Harcus Design
- Article Title: Packaging Design for Russell & Suitor Cazadora Wines by Harcus Design
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Australia
- Agency/Creative City: Sydney
- Market Region: Oceania
- Project Deliverables: Beauty Photography, Brand Design, Brand Identity, Brand Mark, Brand Naming, Creative Direction, Graphic Design, Packaging Design, Writing
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass Bottle
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: Harcus Design, Harcus, Cazadora, Russell&Suitor Wine, Wine, Wine Label, label design, Australian Wine, Australian Design, Packaging Design
Designer: Galima Akhmetzyanova
Creative Director: Annette Harcus
Photographer: Stephen Clarke