MetaDesign China – Proud Past, Bright Future – Jetta
Born from Volkswagen, made in China – a quarter of a century after the JETTA put an entire generation of Chinese drivers on wheels, the family car was reimagined as a sub-brand unto itself. Aiming to provide affordable German engineering for first time-buyers, it provides a strong option in China’s entry-level car segment.
While China has changed significantly in 25 years – JETTA’s purpose has not. The challenge lay in revitalizing the spirit of its pioneering days and reinventing JETTA with a younger personality, modern design language and attitude to appeal to a younger audience on a channel where they spend most of their time – mobile.
At the core of JETTA’s visual identity is a signature two-line graphic representing the brand’s “Proud Past, Bright Future”. This recognizes the model’s legacy and its transformation into a new sub-brand. The flexible supergraphic is integrated into a modular layout system that allows easy applications for all channels. Meanwhile, JETTA’s people-centric image style captures authentic life moments. Backed by a bold color palette, the overall visual feel is energetic, optimistic and young.
Recapturing its pioneer spirit, the JETTA brand goes beyond visual with a new sound signature that is confident and dynamic. Light tones capture the playful positivity of youth, while bassier notes evoke sure-footed confidence. Structurally, the sound follows the signature graphic, aurally building and opening towards the end.
With a bold and energetic identity, the JETTA brand has been lifted from an iconic model into an exciting new brand – once more being poised to put the next generation of drivers on wheels. During JETTA’s first 3 months of pre-sales for the VS5 model, orders exceeded expectations by 230%. In 2020 JETTA will officially launch the pre-sale for VS3 and VS7, which are expected to achieve similar success.
- Design Agency: MetaDesign China
- Article Title: MetaDesign China – Proud Past, Bright Future – Jetta
- Brand / Project Name: Proud Past, Bright Future - Jetta
- Client: Volkswagen China
- Designer: Client services/Designers/Strategists: MetaDesign Beijing , Senior Client Manger: Jiang Wenwen, Creative Director: Sally Anderson, Associate Creative Director: Siuming Leung, Designer: Yafei Wang, Mondo Meng Motion, Designer: Meimei Luo, Associate Strategy Director: Owen Li , Senior Brand Consultant: James Watsonkrips, Brand Consultant: Lori Luo
- Location: China
- Industry Category: Transport