Flexible Design for Mediterranean and Tropical Chocolates by Barceló Estudio
Maüa is a brand of craft chocolates that represents a fusion of cultures, flavours and tradition with the best of Mallorca and the tropics. The products are made with organic ingredients and ecological raw materials to create high quality products.
To represent this fusion, a symbol has been created by mixing something as typical Mallorcan as the textures of “llengos mallorquinas” with a type of tapestry very typical of the tropics. The product variation generates such a wide range that it requires a good flexibility from the brand. It is for this reason that through the different symbols, colors and patterns a variable and very versatile identity has been created.
The symbol is constructed with a rhomboid-based grid and its variations always follow very specific guidelines. Description of all the contents with a Monosten typography. A handcrafted, rustic and natural feel that contrasts with the Old School Serif typography of the complementary graphic elements such as the percentage value of the cocoa. Design of a ‘Bean to Bar’ seal to offer a closer and quality character.
This brand has been applied on different graphic supports for branding, web and product packaging elements. For the chocolates, specific packs have been created for each product and different labels for the different varieties. A disruptive composition in a traditional box that adds a natural, fresh and artisanal value. Timeless packaging. This makes it possible to generate a more enduring element over time as it can be adapted to different collections and new product ranges without having to change the whole pack. Simply with a new label design a new packaging is already established.
The project has been designed by Barceló Estudio and manufactured at Imprenta Nueva Balear, a traditional and local printing house in Palma (Mallorca). For its production, a cardboard Montana White and Natural Gray 300 g support has been used. One ink Black 100% printing. For the labels, the printing has been done on Fedrigoni Papers Essencials Adhesives Adhoc Corolla Premium White 80g.
- Design Agency: Barceló Estudio
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Flexible Design for Mediterranean and Tropical Chocolates by Barceló Estudio
- Brand / Project Name: Maüa Chocolate Packaging Design
- External Design Credits: K Product Photography
- Production Credits: Fedrigoni Papers, Imprenta Nueva Balear
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Brand Strategy
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Identity System, Graphic Design
- Location: Spain
- Market Country: Spain
- Market Region: Europe
- Product Category: Confectionery
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Pulp Fibre, Pulp Paper