Estudio Nuar Creates New Restaurant Branding in Argentina
Milanga & Co. is a fast food restaurant specialized in “Sánguches de Milanesa” (milanesa sandwiches). It’s the first fast food chain in Argentina to address this national all-time classic. Regarding our work, we came up with the idea of recreating a train station, on-the-go sandwich feel (in collaboration with Pablo Chiappori’s interiorism studio). From a branding point of view, we aimed to create a brand that recalls childhood memories: the picnic flavour and a family meal. A fondness for enjoyment, closeness and a sense of tenderness. We included elements and sayings that belong to the collective imagination of the Argentinian people, which resulted in an identity that is timeless, instantly recognizable and endearing. The fonts we selected have a retro touch that is not obvious and the colours are vintage but vibrant. Classic images from this heritage of symbols were remixed in a contemporary visual language. Public transports and their iconic ticket patterns, pop culture references and everyday items are combined in a nostalgia-tinged patchwork that invites you to have an old time “sánguche”. It was an integral project: we did everything from the brand symbol to the spatial applications, signage, archigraphy, packaging, merchandising, apparel, etc. All the elements of the branding enhance the name itself: “Milanga” is a very particular way of saying “Milanesa” which connotes tradition, closeness and Argentine customs. We also created the tone of voice, which is one of the key elements of the branding. For example, we parody a fragment of the Martin Fierro (classic Argentinian literature) but speaking about the Milanesa, and we did a sign with that. Another original written piece is the “Ode to the Milanga”, painted on one of the walls of the place. Finally, we introduced a little joke on the logotype: it says 19 20 which can be read as the year 1920 (in which we invented that Milanga was born) but also its 19-20 (because the truth is it was born betewen 2019 and 2020.
- Design Agency: Estudio Nuar
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Estudio Nuar Creates New Restaurant Branding in Argentina
- Brand / Project Name: Milanga & Co. Restaurant Branding
- External Design Credits: Creative Direction: Melisa Rivas, Manuela Ventura and Crista Bernasconi. Graphic Design: Crista Bernasconi, Melisa Rivas and Malena Sueiro. Copywriting: Crista Bernasconi. Architecture & Interiorism: Pablo Chiappori Estudio. Photography: Federico Kulekdjian (architecture, situations) and Milanga&Co (coffee cup, sandwich with hand).
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Photography, Brand Identity, Branding, Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Brand Experience
- Service Brand Application: Apparel, Brand Guidelines, Merchandising, Packaging, Signage, Spatial Interior
- Location: Argentina
- Market Country: Argentina
- Market Region: South America
- Product Category: Identity
- Project Keywords: Milanesa, Argentina, Fast Food, Sánguche, Estudio Nuar