Bridgemark Develop the Brand and Packaging Design for Defense Soap: From Niche Brand to Defense Against COVID
Disinfecting, sanitizing, and cleaning have become increasingly common verbs since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Bleach and hand sanitizer have become essential items of safety. But, while some might wonder if natural cleaning products can compete, Defense Soap would disagree.
The brand began in the wrestling ring. Coach Guy Sako sought to develop effective cleansers for skin and surfaces to protect his team members after they suffered numerous skin infections. Knowing that leading brand-name soaps typically contain harsh chemicals, some even categorized as “pesticides” by the FDA, he developed a better solution. Using pharmaceutical grade essential oils, his formula was powerful enough to neutralize, treat, and prevent infections, but didn’t expose skin cells to harmful ingredients.
Bridgemark was engaged to develop a strategy and brand solution to shift Defense Soap from a niche brand with strong appeal amongst athletes, to a brand that would redefine hygiene amongst mass, mainstream consumers with the most critical ingredient: trust. The clean, clear wordmark combines with iconography inspired by the medicinal and anti-microbial qualities of the product. Bold and brave, the powerful stroke speaks to the product’s roots in professional sports.
The packaging design system for Defense Soap needed to clearly and consistently communicate the brand’s natural point of difference for consumers who might otherwise reach for products with harsh chemicals. The design solution reassures efficacy and helps consumers navigate a broad and diverse portfolio of products, while maintaining familiarity and credibility with current customers.
Design that effortlessly demonstrates Defense Soap’s unique offering is key, especially as COVID-19 has increased general awareness of microorganisms and expanded the need for effective cleansers past the athletic community. The company’s disinfectant tablets even serve as a bleach alternative, and the brand is listed on the EPA’s List N of products that are effective against COVID-19.
Whether the consumer is an athlete or simply seeking effective cleansers, Defense Soap’s natural strength gives them the confidence to keep on fighting.
- Design Agency: Bridgemark
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Bridgemark Develop the Brand and Packaging Design for Defense Soap: From Niche Brand to Defense Against COVID
- Brand / Project Name: Defense Soap
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Research / Insight, Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Brand Identity, Identity System, Branding, Brand Redesign, Graphic Design, Brand Guidelines, Brand Rejuvenation, Retail Brand Design, Rebranding
- Location: Canada
- Market Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Product Category: Health & Beauty
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle, Box, Bucket, Spray Can
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Plastic, Pulp Carton