Olkom is a popular Ukrainian brand famous for its sunflower oil-based products. In 2020 it launched a new series of high-quality spread that combine vegetable and milk fats. While it is well marketable in Western Europe, Ukrainian customers perceive spread with a particular prejudice. The reasons are contradictory information in the media and market’s overflowing with cheap and often low-quality products. Olkom has manufacturing facilities that allow producing healthier spread without trans fats.
The challenge was making Olkom spread stands out of both categories: butter and spread. The design combines the “milky,” countryside style with an idea of the plant origin of fats. As a source of inspiration, we took Ukrainian folk crafts (Petrykivka art in particular) to reflect the atmosphere of homemade and tasty food. However, we slightly reimagined ornaments to make them look contemporary and cross-cultural.
Prime design trick is that one can display the packaging upside down without harming the identification and overall impression. It allows the packaging to look good on a table or in a horizontal supermarket fridge with 360 degrees observation. Also, it helps avoid risks of improper placing on the shelves.
- Agency/Creative: Gutsulyak.Studio
- Article Title: Branding and Packaging Design for Olkom, Ukrainian’s Famous Sunflower Oil-Based Spreads by Gutsulyak.Studio
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: Canada
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Branding, Graphic Design, Illustration, Packaging Design, Research, Retail Brand Design, Tone of Voice
- Format: Wrap
- Substrate: Metal