In 2021 I was commissioned to brand a sound art gallery. This exhibition space will host sound installations, live performances, and workshops from leading sound artists from around the globe. Most of the exhibitors are provocative and instil a multisensory experience.
The client asked me to work on the naming, visual and verbal identity, environmental design, and other branding essentials.
The owner of the space is on a mission to make society more self-aware. He wants to start a dialogue with a very young generation. Traditionally exhibition spaces across Germany attract affluent middle-aged audiences. I wanted to change this perception.
To capture the gallery’s loud and provocative personality, I decided to name the brand “Buzz Soundart Galerie”. Buzz both stands for low, continuous humming sound and an atmosphere of excitement and activity.
I wanted to eliminate the intimidating factor that comes with the traditional galleries. As a part of the verbal identity, we want the brand to be provocative and funny. Hence the slogan “No sound is safe here”. Exhibition names take a similar approach. The first exhibition is named “This is the End”.
Typography is central to the identity system. Words and phrases form simple shapes serving both as signages and pattern systems.
I wanted to show the relationship of humans, sounds, wires and machines in a concrete jungle. I chose Neon Yellow as the primary brand colour. It has both an industrial and loud presence.
To create a sense of unease, I selected kitschy images of singing angels. I further distorted these images based on the audio signals from installations.
- Agency/Creative: Alessia Oertel
- Article Title: Brand Positioning an Avant-Garde One of a Kind Exhibition Space in Berlin, Germany
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Non Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Germany
- Agency/Creative City: Kiel
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Art Direction, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Branding, Editorial Design, Environmental Graphics, Graphic Design, Identity System, Logo Design
- Industry: Entertainment
- Keywords: Branding, Brand Identity, Art Direction, Art, Gallery, sound art, Identity, Logo Design, Environmental, Exhibition, Brand Strategy, Culture
Designer: Alessia Oertel