Boldly Creates a Distinctively African Brand for Vusa Vodka
Premium vodka isn’t the first thing you’d associate with Africa. But then, Boldly’s role in the launch of this exciting new product was all about subverting the expected to discover the new.
Vusa is a distinctively African vodka. Unlike European grain-based vodkas, it’s distilled from sugar cane grown naturally in KwaZulu-Natal and filtered through the iconic Baobab tree using water from the Lions River.
Boldly wanted the brand to celebrate this provenance whilst showcasing the diverse reality of 21st century Africa, from underground music and street art to food and fashion.
The name Vusa, meaning “awaken” in Zulu, unlocked the idea of channelling raw creativity and self-expression. This quickly led to the tagline: Awaken Your Spirit.
The diamond shaped logo icon, inspired by Zulu art, expresses energy and motion. The label is die-cut from this same diamond shape, creating a visual burst that reveals a bold black and white pattern inside the bottle.
- Design Agency: Boldly
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Boldly Creates a Distinctively African Brand for Vusa Vodka
- Brand / Project Name: Vusa
- External Design Credits: Photography by Nick Howe: https://www.nick-h.com
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Product Naming
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Photography, Brand Identity, Branding, Brand Creation
- Location: United Kingdom
- Market Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Europe
- Product Category: Spirits
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass Bottle